In June 1995, a $2.8 million capital appropriation was approved for the construction of a new classroom building. The 28,000-square-foot classroom building was developed to accommodate increasing enrollment and expanded degree programs. The building was the first new construction project in the West Plains campus’ 33 year-history funded by the Missouri General Assembly. The building was named in honor of Emory L. Melton who served the people of Missouri's 29th Senatorial District for over two decades of tremendous growth and change.
A dedication ceremony was held on April 19, 1998.
A $151,000 addition to Melton Hall was completed in April 2002. The two-story, 1024 sq. ft. addition houses six faculty offices.